Life of Hardin in Paraguay

Laugh as you travel through life with Josh Hardin.

Name:
Location: Spring Hill, TN, United States

Josh Hardin began writing in high school and published his first novel when he was twenty-two. He won an EPPIE award for his mystery novel "The Pride of Peacock." His non-fiction work includes "The Prayer of Faith", a book aimed at making personal prayers both powerful and effective. He has traveled widely and taught a summer philosophy course at the International University in Vienna. Hardin grew up in Tennessee and moved to Paraguay in 2006. He moved back to Tennessee in 2008.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Life of Hardin Vol. IV, No. 5

The Joys of Flight


When last we left our intrepid adventurer, he was just about to set foot on a plane to the land of milk and honey and extra moist chocolate cakes. We pick up the tale after he has been there and returned to a far land . . .

I used to love airports. I liked to gaze out of the big glass windows and watch the planes take off and land. I liked to sit and wait with the travelers and wonder what wonders they might see on their trip. I liked the idea of going somewhere. I liked to watch the people as they waited for their flights, as they said goodbye, as they stared down the long tunnel to the just-arrived plane in hope of catching the first glimpse of a returning prodigal.

I liked to fly in the planes. I like to sit there while the stewardess served me a can of Ginger Ale and a bag of honey roasted peanuts. It was the only time I really ate peanuts at all. They only taste right when they've been at 50,000 feet for a few hours. I could chat with the stewardesses and get extra drinks or extra snack bags or extra rolls with the meal. I watched out the window as the plane took off and saw the night lights of some city I'd never been too, just sort of traveled past. Then I could say, with my nose in the air, "I've never really visited Miami (or London, or Sydney, or New York, or etc.). I've just flown through a few times." I watched the TOP side of the clouds and found out they're just as billowy from that side. I watched the movies and movies and movies they show to keep you pacified--movies that I would not pay to see in a theater and might not rent, but hey, they're free.

Now I can't go now to the gates unless I have a ticket. I can't watch the planes take off. Now I get stopped at security because I have a squeeze bottle of Miracle Whip (with the tangy zip) stashed in my carry on. There it is confiscated under suspicion of being a front for high-tech liquid explosive.

Now when I sit for my snack I am given a bag of mix made with salt, half-pretzels, and Doritos crumbs because peanuts are deadly to some people. I NEVER get to eat peanuts now. Now when I ask for Ginger Ale I am told they have Guarana instead.

Now when I sit back to enjoy a movie, I am told there is only one feature playing on the FROM flight. It is "The Lake House." When I decide to make the best of it I discover that it has two different language tracks. One is Portugese. The other is . . . Portugese. On the flight TO, depending on the plane, I am told the possible features are a number of not-yet-on-video blockbusters I would love to see. On my plane the feature is "The Devil Wears Prada." I don't care how free it is, I refuse to watch "The Devil Wears Prada" or to even find out what prada is.

Now when I decide I have had enough adventure and try to sleep, I do so very well for about five minutes, until my insomiac wife leans into my closed-eyed face and asks in a stage whisper the entire plane MUST hear, "Are you asLEEP?"

Now there are two sides to airports and airplanes. Sometimes you're going somewhere; sometimes you're going away. But if they would only keep a little Canada Dry on hand and one little bag of peanuts, it would be just a little better either way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home